Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Warlord for SEED Constructed

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    No, Mono Warlord is not the best deck in Seed constructed. You need to try harder to beat it.
    Have fun
    I stand corrected.

2. Default

For SEED only, it feels that most of the board is pretty much "WARLORD OR DIE!" when it comes to constructed. Even here, it's being said that pretty much 2 locations can effectively disable or beat any other faction unless they splash Warlord for those same locations.

I'm sure it doesn't help that Warlord has 5 methods of doing something to a location with Banker following with 2 and Obsession having 1.

Others say that there are better deck concepts out there but it feels like everyone is being all super secret tech out there. Even the Deck Building forums seem kind of like an old western town with dust balls roaming.

Would it be safer to wait till post Gencon (SEED II) for more SEED competitive constructed decks that aren't Warlord?

Quote Originally Posted by Fujisawa
    For SEED only, it feels that most of the board is pretty much "WARLORD OR DIE!" when it comes to constructed. Even here, it's being said that pretty much 2 locations can effectively disable or beat any other faction unless they splash Warlord for those same locations.

I'm sure it doesn't help that Warlord has 5 methods of doing something to a location with Banker following with 2 and Obsession having 1.

Others say that there are better deck concepts out there but it feels like everyone is being all super secret tech out there. Even the Deck Building forums seem kind of like an old western town with dust balls roaming.

Would it be safer to wait till post Gencon (SEED II) for more SEED competitive constructed decks that aren't Warlord?
    Now that we know that Nationals will be Open constructed, it seems silly for people to play their Seed only decks so close to the chest. I'm skeptical about Hans' statement and unless he produces the better list of which he speaks, I'll remain skeptical
    R.I.P. Tenacious

Vive Arcane Tinman!

Quote Originally Posted by Fujisawa
    Others say that there are better deck concepts out there but it feels like everyone is being all super secret tech out there.
    Unfortunately, all the self-proclaimed good players on this forum keep their best decks secret. Mind you, they often show up to big events with the same deck that everyone else is playing saying it's not the right time to unleash their beast.

I think they should nut up, or shut up.
    Jeremy Mueller
    Founding Member - The Knitting Coalition

STE Points: 50
    1337 Points: 17

5. Default

I would suggest looking towards elitism/rouge for the answers to warlord in Seed. Plus you don't need to have location removal, you can attack locations as if they were factions which sometimes might be worth doing.

Elitism/Rogue has no answers for locations. This is, at best, problematic and at worst it's utterly devastating. Having played in a meta that was heavy on Warlord, you have to deal with the Ballista, or you lose... it's like someone having a runic cannon in Part 1 limited. If they play it correctly, there's nothing you can do to get out from under it.
    The Gnomish One: Cracking Heist Planners in sealed since 2006.

~~Proud Member of Team Gandalf~~

Codename: Legoliath

The Garbageman can because he mixes it with love and makes the world smell goooood.

Quote Originally Posted by thegnomishone
    Elitism/Rogue has no answers for locations.
    Attack them?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Surprisingly ineffective against a Warlord deck.
    The Gnomish One: Cracking Heist Planners in sealed since 2006.

~~Proud Member of Team Gandalf~~

Codename: Legoliath

The Garbageman can because he mixes it with love and makes the world smell goooood.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sabash
    Attack them?
    The problem here is pacing and variables. Yeah, attack them, destroy that location. Done. Easy. Move on.

10 life on that location? I just spent a lot of effort, turns, and resources to take a 2 cost, 10 life location. That's 10 life that could've been taken from the faction influence.

Let's throw in the variable of when I attack, Warlord uses tools to kill my characters. Now I've wasted those resources to attack and now have to rebuild my forces. All for what? 2 damage on the Ballista?

I'd rather have a method of dealing with locations directly, blowing it up entirely, bouncing it, negating its rules box...

If SEED is about location hate (especially to defend against a location heavy Warlord) then you would need to splash Banker/Arcanist/Warlord for that reason.

This is specifically against a meta that's location heavy. Sucks for Rogue and Elitism.

10. Default

I realized I might've said why attacking isn't good but I don't think I went into how you could defend.

If you are determined to play another faction but still have location hate, splashing Warlord for its tools wouldn't be bad. Chain Reaction, Colossal Flattener, Essence of Rage, Mighty Ballista, Trebuchet Officer, and Virtuous Razer are very effective hate against locations. Splashing them into another faction would help boost the defense against them.

Sadly, almost enough to just say "I'ma play Warlord instead." But at least it's a method.

Banker has Property Condemner and Purifying Priest to deal with locations. Property Condemner is an awesome way to hate locations. 2 flip cost, 2 thresh, and even speed 4? I like it. I like to combo it with Arcanist and in dire situations, bounce it back and throw it back out.

As for the priest, it at least shoots 1 damage to another location. Not purely effective but helps.

Encumber is the only answer for direct location hate for Arcanist. Covert is a great method to hit locations but that does require the character living to attack and using their attack to hit a location instead of faction influence. At least with Encumber, I can bounce that Watchtower or Drill Garrison and drop my 1 lifers without instant decimation.

What does Rogue or Elitism have for direct location hate? I didn't see anything Elitism has. Rogue; you could do trickery and search their deck and discard it. Or rig their top card to the bottom of the deck. It's a method but I don't think it's reliable.

Am I missing options here?

+ Reply to Thread