Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Resourse spending

Couldn't we focus on the mechanic and how different players handle their attaching instead of bickering about how popular the Spoils is? I seriously doubt adding the "tapping" mechanic to resources will have a huge impact on sales for the Spoils, but as I am a new player I'm curious about how everybody handles this mechanic, that seems a bit ineffective to me right now. Otherwise people wouldn't keep playing it Magic-style. They would throw themselves over the attach mechanic and forget they ever knew anything about Magic. Wouldn't they?

There must be really good players that have quick and easy techniques of doing this. It would be cool to hear these people out.
    Bizze

2. Default

Weesie, no offence.
    Sorry for offtopic, of course tap doesnt link with number of active members or sells.

Okay, its just my subjective opinion. Forgive me all *repentance*

I'm saying about something like that:

Last edited by ShadeMemory; 08-24-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizze
    I am a new player I'm curious about how everybody handles this mechanic, that seems a bit ineffective to me right now. Otherwise people wouldn't keep playing it Magic-style. They would throw themselves over the attach mechanic and forget they ever knew anything about Magic. Wouldn't they?

There must be really good players that have quick and easy techniques of doing this. It would be cool to hear these people out.
    I'd like to see the research data you're using to prove this point.

In the time I've played, I've seen a total of 1 person 'tap' resources. This player was a Magic player, who had picked up the Spoils THAT DAY and taught himself off of only the rules sheet.

Every other player I've met uses attatch in some form. I personally keep my faction high left on the table in front of me, and my resources in a line with the names visible below it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeMemory
    One more time: I don't say about replace of old system or rules changing, only about alternative version of vertical-oriented resources for casual players. So, all fan of attach/detach system can still attach vertical oriented resources to faction card instead of tapping or just use resources from BETA/1ED/SEED.
    Of course, in tournaments all players must use only attach/detach system.
    Okay, if the 'tournament standard' is attatch, why would The Spoils, the first 'Tournament Card Game' print its card for the casual player (and likely the minority of casual players.)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bizze
    What does "sideways" really mean? Should they be horizontal or vertical (like in Wessie's pics)?
    Horizontal is the 'proper way'.
    Contrary to the bumper sticker it is no longer enough to question authority; you've got to speak with it, too. -Taylor Mali

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lighttigersoul
    Okay, if the 'tournament standard' is attatch, why would The Spoils, the first 'Tournament Card Game' print its card for the casual player (and likely the minority of casual players.)?
    Because horisontal resources already printed. You always can use resourses from previous sets but "tap players" doesnt have alternative.

Joshlytle ask players here on forum: "What Isn't Good Enough Right Now?" and i'm just tell about my subjective vision: as TCG player and TCG designer i don't like attach scheme for resource spending. Thats all.

No offence. Sorry for my words about hardcore segment, maybe i'm just too impulsive

Hope, the Spoils rise again and i can see next set Peace!

My point is WHY should Josh, or AT, or anyone involved in the final process waste time on a demographic that is a minority by all rights. In Magic the 'Tournament Standard' trickled down to become the 'Casual Standard', the same is likely to happen with The Spoils in time.

Your opinion isn't invalid, my question is, simply, why is your opinion more important than the Spoils established process?
    Contrary to the bumper sticker it is no longer enough to question authority; you've got to speak with it, too. -Taylor Mali

Resource spending points:

1. As the judge for local and regional events in Metro Denver, Rocky Mountain region I required players to attach/detatch instead of tap resources. This is a game mechanic, and you are playing the game. Basically I said, "Give it a reasonable chance and you'll find the time to attach/detatch is negligible."

2. Tapping causes confusion with regard to the cards that trigger off when something depletes. Resources don't deplete, they attach. If the mechanism for utilizing the resource is visually identical to the mechanism for delineating depletion, there is room for misinterpretation.

3. Reference to the "tangle" of lands in Magic while tapping a partial stack above is just as likely as experiencing difficulty aligning the attached resources to the faction.

I can't take a picture right now, but I've seen many effective players simply use the method "my faction is over here, and any resource piles (typically in stacks of three) aligned with my faction on this side of my playmat are considered attached". This method prevents accidental movement of dice oriented over top the faction by not physically contacting the faction card with any resources.

Also, since this isn't Magic and the related costs (not threshold) can be paid with face-down resources, I've also seen individuals use the threshold related face-up resources LAST to prevent confusion.
    Ever wonder why people say "Penny for your thoughts" and you always want to throw in your "two cents?"

~~Proud Member of Team Gandalf~~

Codename: Gand31f

STE Points: 1, but seriously, I wanna judge on the cruise so do I really need these?

Gold Stars: 1

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lighttigersoul
    Your opinion isn't invalid, my question is, simply, why is your opinion more important than the Spoils established process?
    I just add my opinion and never say its so IMPORTANT. Of course all of you can set Care'O Meter to zero
    Last edited by ShadeMemory; 08-24-2009 at 09:01 AM.

8. Default

@shadememory lol

@everyone else really....?

again it is a game mechanic.
    tapping is the sux....there have been many a game where:
    1) a land got accidentaly tapped and was ruled that it was tapped so i took mana burn (yes that is gone now).
    2) a land was not tapped so something got cast that should not have been.

tapping sux (did i say that already?)

just attach or use a tokin to show what is attached....moving the tokin to show attached or not....how hard is that??? and no confusion.....and (lol) if you want it attached to the faction i will use the faction as the tokin....(some people can be such @ss3s)
    ________
    Ship Sale
    Last edited by tgrtrax; 04-19-2011 at 03:28 PM.

I'm just trying to encourage discussion. Oh, and making sure the burden of proof is where it belongs.

shadememory claims that tapping is better, it's his responsibility to prove why it's a better system and why it should replace the current one.

As I said, his opinion isn't invalid, I'm sure some people DO prefer tapping.

10. Default

Hello tgrtrax I'm glad to see a lot of discussion here.
    Can you tell me how you mark depleted charachters in play? Put some counters on it or so?
    Last edited by ShadeMemory; 08-24-2009 at 09:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast