Forgot your username?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MegaCon 2013 Schedule of Events

Default MegaCon 2013 Schedule of Events

Exhibit Hall Booth: #955
    Card Gaming Hall Room: 232

Free Demo Events

Standard Demos:
    Come and learn how to play The Spoils in only 5-10 minutes. This game has something for all types of gamers!

Card Gamers: The Spoils is a fresh take on the CCG genre – deep strategy, flavor you won't find in any other card game, and it gets rid of mechanics that make CCGs unfun!

Role-Players: The Spoils has an interesting lore that is sure to grab your attention. The flavor and artwork of this game has mass appeal to the average RPG player!

Anime Fans: The Spoils has an anime flare to it. You will find our game highly entertaining and fun. If you like anime and you like strategy games, you will like The Spoils!

Board Gamers: For those board gamers who love deep strategic choices in their games, The Spoils has strategy in spades. Like to play games where skill really matters? The Spoils is for you. Don't like the expense of CCGs? The Spoils is for you – our draft format is perfect for people who like to compete without burning through their wallet.

Cube Drafts:
    Restrictions: New players only. 8 players or less. We only have 1 cube and it can accommodate up to 8 players at a time.
    Suggested Experience Requirement: None.
    Format: Seed and Seed 2
    This is a practice draft format where players will not keep the cards from the draft. It is essentially a demo draft. There are no prizes, but you will get to learn how to draft in a friendly and fun environment to prepare to for an actual draft (if you so desire).

Headline Events

Saturday:

MegaCon Constructed Champioship:
    Do you have what it takes to be the next MegaCon Champion? Compete for honor and glory in this battle of domination. Can you bring the Epic Smackdown?!!
    Entry: $10
    Event Start: 5pm
    Registration: Payment is due at time of registration. You must register for this event before 4pm on Saturday. Deck registration sheets must be turned in by 4:30pm Saturday. All players must report to The Spoils HQ by 4:30pm or you will be dropped from the tournament. Refunds are available for players who cancel before 4pm.
    Restrictions: Players bring their own Tournament legal deck. Decks must be 75 cards minimum (not including the Faction card). Decks must be sleeved. Only your Faction card doesn't need a sleeve or it can be different from your deck sleeves.
    Suggested Experience Requirement: Moderate to High. Competition for this tournament will involve experienced veterans. New players are welcome to compete and will learn a lot about the game if they do. However, unless you have a firm grip on the system of the game and a competitive deck, it will be a tough tournament for you.
    Format: Constructed play with a number of Swiss rounds based on the # of participants with a cut to single elimination finals.
    Prizes:
    -1st place claims the MegaCon Constructed Champion 2013 title, custom playmat, metal micromajig token, and bonus packs.
    -Metal Micromajig Tokens and bonus packs will be given to other top finishers.
    -Two random players who did not make the cut will receive a $5 credit towards entry into the 2013 MegaCon Limited Championship.

Sunday:

MegaCon Limited Championship:
    Yet another chance to achieve the title of champion in The Spoils CCG. Test your intellect and cunning in the quest to become the next 3p1c D00d! (or D00d3tt3)
    Entry: $25
    Event Start: 11am
    Registration: Payment is due at the time of registration. You must register for this event before 10am Sunday. All players must report to The Spoils HQ by 10:30am or you will be dropped from the tournament. Refunds are available for players who drop before 10am.
    Restrictions: Decks must be sleeved. Decks must be a minimum of 45 cards not including the Faction card.
    Suggested Experience Requirement: Low to Moderate. This is a decent event for new comers who have played even just a handful of The Spoils games. Sealed format is also well suited to new players since everyone starts off with 0 cards and builds decks only out of packs they open on the spot.
    Format: Sealed. Players will open 6 packs of 2nd Edition. Players will then have 30 minutes to construct a deck from those cards. Players will then play a number of Swiss rounds determined by the # of participants with a possible cut to single elimination finals (depending on time).
    Prizes:
    -1st place claims the MegaCon Limited Championship 2013 title, custom playmat, metal micromajig token, and bonus packs.
    -Metal Micromajig Tokens and bonus packs will be given to other top finishers.
    -Two random players who are not top finishers will receive a $5 off per booster box coupon (Limit 3 boxes per coupon) and a $10 vengeance credit towards next year's MegaCon Limited Championship.
    -Promos will be given out to all participants.

Secondary Events
    These events will fire off whenever there are 4-8 participants signed up and ready to play.

Drafts:
    One of the best formats in card gaming! If you have never drafted, come learn.
    Entry: $15
    Format: Players choice - 2nd Edition or Seed block. Swiss rounds based on # of participants.
    Restrictions: Decks must be sleeved. If you do not have sleeves, a pack will be provided to you.
    Suggested Experience Requirement: Moderate-Low. You must know how to play the basic game and how to draft. Demos will be given throughout the Con (See Cube Drafts). The Spoils draft format is an absolutely awesome format. Everyone comes to the table on equal footing and you play with the cards that you pick.
    Prizes:
    -Bonus packs based on # of participants paid out to the top players.
    -Promos will also be given out to top players and randomly to other participants.
    -In all drafts with 8 or more participants, 1st 2nd and 3rd place will receive Alternate Art Dual Threshold Resource Promos as additional prizes. 1st place will get 2 picks and 2nd place will get 2 picks and 3rd place will get whichever promo 1st and 2nd did not pick.
    -All day Friday and Saturday, 1st place finishers from 8+ man drafts will be given a coupon for $5 off entry into the MegaCon Limited Championship.
    -All participants will receive a coupon good for $5 off per box of boosters purchased (Limit 2 boxes per coupon).
    -In drafts with 8 or more participants, one random participant will receive a coupon for $5 off their next draft.

Note: Prizes will not be payed out until Staple Resources are returned to HQ. Don't be that guy/girl!

New Player Precon Tournament:
    This is a great way to learn more about the game
    Entry: $10 (Includes a Precon deck) or $5 if you already have a Precon.
    Restrictions: New players only.
    Suggested Experience Requirement: None.
    Format: Players will play 3 Swiss rounds.
    Prizes: Payout based on Swiss points after 3 rounds:
    9 points = 3 packs
    6 points = 2 packs
    3 points = 1 pack
    Last edited by Oneyus; 03-14-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Bump

Bump

4. Default

Any chance you guys could publish your cube list somewhere?

I'll look into it. The cube I have is made to emulate actual pack distribution as close as possible (sans rares). I didn't bother putting rares in the cube because the majority of rares do not see play in drafts and my cube is designed to help newer players rate cards in limited format.

Now that there is a greater chance of me being able to go to MegaCon this year, I suddenly am undecided on which deck that I want to play.

Well, aside from a mysterious allergy cold that exploded while at MegaCon and subsided as soon as I got home Sunday, the Con was a blast. I am still recovering. I will be writing up a complete report, at least from my side of things, hopefully within the next week.

To those who have been waiting for tournament reports, I apologize. I have been super busy and dealing with higher priority items. I have not forgotten about this and will try to put something up in the next week.

Is there a way to get to look at some deck lists? While waiting for Shade it would be really fun to see if the US metagame has something worth trying...
    Bizze

Yeah, sorry about this, I've been lazy about getting the lists together. I have my general report nearly done. I was not present for the constructed tournament so I can't really comment too much on it, though I did play in the Limited Champs and got to the final match and lost (video of it somewhere, though it won't likely surface for a while). I'll try to have lists up by weeks end.

+ Reply to Thread