PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Thur, Sept. 13th Preview

SubtleThunder
09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
So far, you've seen the most cromulent 'mechanic' from COTL with Circumspect Hijacker (http://www.thespoils.com/spoils/showthread.php?t=4892). These are cards with additional effects that 'turn on' when you meet a certain threshold. Also mentioned in previous interviews and previews are other mechanics, and now you can vote on which you want to see next.

Flip Up (Called "Flip Out" in R&D) this is the second most far-reaching mechanic.
Resources the new resources.
Recur (Called "Loopy" in R&D) found in Arcanists and Bankers.
Gamble found in Rogues.
Overclock found in Gearsmiths.

Hordak
09-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Oooooooh man I'm excited. I remember talking to Dylan about most of those and I'm hungering to see them in action.

EDIT: I voted for Gamble because it's the one that hasn't been discussed at all to date.

Killercoz
09-11-2007, 01:51 PM
2 days seems far away all of a sudden

Lioge
09-11-2007, 01:57 PM
I voted for Resources because I'm interested to see how much the game will adapt as/if a player reaches the late game. Will non-staple resources accelerate the meta or will there be effects that "turn face down" the resource? I can see lots of development space with the resources.

OnBoardGames
09-11-2007, 02:08 PM
So I actually decided to think this through and here's my line of reasoning:

Flip-Up: Seems pretty self explanatory, either it's going to be like Morph or where you get to flip a resource into play. Either way it seems kind of simple and not interesting.

Recur: Sounds like some type of buyback or effect that keeps triggering from the discard pile. It's one of those two so why preview.

Gamble: A few options here and it was a tempting vote. However, I could see it as "both players choose a character, flip a coin, winner gets both characters". Therefore, I didn't vote for Gamble.

Overclock: I predict Overclock is 'deplete this card to reduce the cost by X. This card does not restore the turn after using this ability."

Resources: What new resources could there be? They wouldn't put in dual-thresholds because that we be WAY to overpowered. So somehow they have incorporated new resource without breaking the system? I wanna see it!

But haven't we waited long enough to warrant all of these previews today? :-D

Hordak
09-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Overclock is actually paying an additional cost when playing a card to give it an enhanced or secondary effect.

OnBoardGames
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
that makes sense too, I was just guessing :p

Lioge
09-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Gamble: Though we don't have any details on this one, I anticipate that the card will have the option to become better when it comes into play via coin flip or rolling a die.

Something like this:
Tightrope Walking Pirate
He's Gonna Fall
4 DD
3/3/4
Cost - You may flip a coin.

When this comes into play, if you paid the extra cost and the coin is heads, put a token on this card. If you paid the extra cost and the coin is tails, this comes into play depleted.

This character gets +1 Str/+1 Life for each token on it.
So that's how he gets around so quickly.

Hordak
09-11-2007, 02:33 PM
While we've seen the coinflip mechanic before, I'd be more intrigued by interactive 'gambles'.

Black Box Practices
It works more often than it implodes the universe
Tactic
3DDD

Cost: Pick a character and a number.

Effect: Reveal the top card of your opponent's deck. If the card's numeric cost is equal to the number you picked, take control of the picked character. If not, attach this card to the character and it becomes a gear card that gives +1/+1.

Bodlar
09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
I think since we have only staple resources available to us I would like to see them first. I would like to see a new faction card even more, but that was not one of the options.

gnometit4n
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I can honestly say that I have never been more hungry for information for any set, for any card game ever. I cant wait for Seed. Hopefully the set lives up to our expectations. Today's card just made me groan because I don't want to wait for the rest...:chomp:

Killercoz
09-11-2007, 09:05 PM
why is gamble in italics? Does that have to do with the kind of ability it is?

Asukarulez
09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I think the one previewed that broke Cheats was Flip Out. So, I guess I'd vote for that.

But I won't. I won't vote at all. Just preview me some stuff. :)

Heh, I remember getting cards to previews in FMA. I really need to start writting articles for games again.

doc8466
09-12-2007, 03:56 AM
why is gamble in italics? Does that have to do with the kind of ability it is?

It means that's what you voted for.

jty3
09-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Although it would be cool to see a card from another trade, I really want to see what a non-staple resource looks like.

cravix
09-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Geez you all are a bunch of spoils crack heads, but then again so am I.

La_Sin_Grail
09-12-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm hoping for some cool preview articles! Those would be fun to write, fun to read, and good promotions. Hoping Seed comes out soon because I need to convince my college buddies that this game isn't going to bust soon (I can't show them checks yet, either :\). Looking forward to the new mechanics and the new faction cards!

CSpuppydog
09-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah I voted for Resourses because I want to see what these "new" resourses could possibly be.

kallisti
09-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I just hope "Resources" doesn't mean "the new staple resources with awesome art"....

jty3
09-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Good point. Hadn't thought of that. Not much in Doc's description.

alextastic
09-13-2007, 03:19 AM
I just hope "Resources" doesn't mean "the new staple resources with awesome art"....
well shoot. : /

still, the art's nice.

Killercoz
09-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Arcanists and Bankers get recur, Gearsmiths get overclock, and Rogues get gamble. Why doesnt Rage get anything?

davyinatoga
09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Really big dragons. They don't need all the fancy stuff.

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE FROM THE PAST: I (you) forgot Flip-up. That may be Warlord-only

elanthus
09-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Really big dragons. They don't need all the fancy stuff.

Except for a way to kill schproingmajig... and no, 3 dragons + Dragon's Quarters is not going to cut it.

Master St. Louis
09-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Wow, this all looks SWEET. These next few weeks will seem the longest of my life. God, I WANT SEED NOW! Lol.

Killercoz
09-14-2007, 08:52 AM
: I (you) forgot Flip-up. That may be Warlord-onlyBut wouldnt they have said that like they did with the other abilities?

Silverwolf
09-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Except for a way to kill schproingmajig... and no, 3 dragons + Dragon's Quarters is not going to cut it.

well, it would work, but is certainly not ideal.... :)

jty3
09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
He can't pump in response right, since it's an "At the start of your turn ability?"

davyinatoga
09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
But wouldnt they have said that like they did with the other abilities?
True. I concede this battle, for now.

Silverwolf
09-14-2007, 09:44 AM
He can't pump in response right, since it's an "At the start of your turn ability?"

Indeed, you cannot respond to triggers.